This course introduces students to the criminal justice system and its three main components: law enforcement, the courts, and corrections. It reviews what constitutes a criminal offense, how crime is measured, and theories of crime causation. This course also looks at issues and challenges facing today's criminal justice system and examines possible future directions.
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Define key terms related to the justice system
- Examine the justice system
- Analyze concepts related to criminal law
- Compare and contrast theories of crime
- Evaluate the impact history has had on the American justice system
- Examine issues and emerging trends in criminal justice